ANGLICAN PARISH OF EAST OTAGO
Lenten Studies 2012
To be held in St Barnabas Church Lounge, Warrington
Leader: Roger Barker
PASSAGES OF FAITH
Session 1 Monday, 27th February The Gifts of God
Passage for Reflection: A poem by Rabindranath Tagore [Bengali philosopher, poet & mystic: 1861-1941]
Session 2 Monday, 5 March The Work of God
Passage for Reflection: The Deathbed Homily of Fr Gilbert Shaw [English priest & spiritual director: 1879-1968]
Session 3 Monday, 12 March The Body of God
Passage for Reflection: Hymns of Divine Love No.15 by St Symeon the New Theologian [Greek abbot, mystic & saint: 949-1022]
Session 4 Monday, 19 March The Victory of God
Passage for Reflection: A Prayer Found Beside a Dead Child in Ravensbruck Death Camp [Anonymous, Jewish, 1945]
Session 5 Monday, 26 March The Healing of God
Passage for Reflection: The Psalm of an Abused Canadian woman [Anonymous, Canadian, from the 1990's]
1. Each passage is an extraordinary expression of the author's faith. I have chosen them because of their impact on my own faith journey.
2. Each session will begin at 7.30pm and conclude by 8.30pm.
3. Ideally, copies of the passage under consideration will be available to participants a week in advance.
4. We will begin each session with a short discussion about the meaning of the text as it is; and relate it to Scripture. Then we will have a period of silent reflection on the passage, followed by prayer and feedback.
5. It is suggested that participants bring notebook and biro, and a bible.